Fossil Gen 4 Rose Quartz Smart Watch Review
There are some pretty slick features on the Fossil Gen 4 Venture Smart Watch! Not only is it uber-smart, it’s beautiful as well! So, let’s take a look at what wearing a smart watch is really like because there are good and bad sides to it.
Why Pet People Need A Smart Watch
Why would animal lovers care about the Fossil Gen 4 Venture smart watch? Because like every other cell phone user (and there are over 6.8 billion of us out of a global population of about 8 billion), animal lovers and active folks are the ones who most don’t want to be bothered carrying an actual cell phone.
We don’t have the time or energy to worry about where we can put our cell phone so it doesn’t fall out and break or get lost, but so we still have easy access to it in case we throw our backs out and need to call for help…
Besides, we have our hands full already…
We’re holding leashes, reins, balancing 40-lb bags of food, carrying 25-lb buckets of cat litter, tossing bales of hay, wrestling dogs for baths, lugging carriers to the veterinarian, and oh, so much more.
With a smart watch, you can secure your phone in a fanny pack or backpack (or dog leash) where you won’t drop it, but still have access to the data you need (like work out stats, steps taken, the weather forecast, the time of our next appointment, etc.)
You don’t have to worry about leaving your most sensitive data behind. The catch is that the phone needs to be within 30 feet of the watch for it to work.
So, you’ll still need to be near your phone, but you don’t have to be holding it… That’s what I love most (and least) about the Fossil Watch.
The Pros of the Fossil Gen 4 Venture HR Smart Watch
- No bulky cell phone to worry about and no more stress about dropping or leaving cell phone behind (note: You will need your smart phone within 30 feet of your watch, but you don’t have to carry it around)
- Automatically monitors heart rate (every 20 minutes).
- Internal GPS
- Emergency assistance with noontime app (included in phone)
- Wear OS by Google works with phones running Android 4.4 or later (excluding Go edition) or iOS 9.3 or later operating systems.* Compatible with Android phones and iPhone®
- Water resistant! Defends your smartwatch against submersion in up to 164′ of water.
- 18mm stainless steel watch band.
- Set reminders: “Pick up dog food”
- Google Pay (It can only be used for pay when it’s unlocked nad on your wrist)
- Easy access to Google Assistant (press and hold middle button)
- Create app shortcuts for faster access
- Play music
- Track sleeping and record snoring, even improve your sleep habits! (You’ll have to download a separate app)
- Easy to switch out wristbands (two snaps)
- Use 3rd party apps (like Uber, etc)
- Send smart replies to incoming messages and calls
- Ask for directions
- Make calls
What can the Fossil Gen 4 Venture Smart Phone do?
- Sensors include: Accelerometer, Ambient light sensor, Gyro sensor, Heart rate sensor
- Calendar, SMS, email and social media notifications
- Wifi connection to your phone (or other device)
- Bluetooth 4.1 LE connectivity and NFC technology enables simple one-touch pairing
- Tracks distance walked/run, calories burned, activity levels, heart rate, floors climbed and steps taken.
- Vibrate mode ensures no interruptions over stupid things.
- Alerts you to incoming emails, calls, text messages, calendar events, and more.
- Easy recharge for battery with a cool little wireless charging dock.
- Personalize watch faces (there are 3 included but you can download more)
- Fully charged within an hour
What it Can’t Do…
- Be further than 30 feet from your phone (or however far your bluetooth and/or wi-fi ranges). 🙁
- Work longer than 24 hours without a charge. The battery life is short, but it is significantly longer than other smart watches and can reach a full charge in only an hour.
- The beautiful stainless steel band is a bit bulky (but it’s very easy to change and there are many styles available that will fit your life).
- It’s pricey (Normally retails at $275, but Best Buy currently has it on special for $199)
One of the greatest features (in my humble opinion) is that the Fossil Gen 4 Smart Watch gives you access to emergency services with just a simple button. If you’ve been thrown from your horse and separated from your phone, you have full access to an app called Noonlight.
This app is built into the phone and it immediately dispatches emergency services to your location (wherever you and your watch happen to be) in case of fire, accident, or any other disaster.
How to set up your Fossil Venture Smart Watch:
- Download Wear OS app to phone from Google Store (it’s free)
- Pair to your phone (it’s super easy and google walks you through it)
- Connect to wi-fi when you’re at home
Features I Love
- Vibration Alert with over-rides for specific apps
- Memory (RAM: 512 megabytes)
- Sensors: Accelerometer, Ambient light sensor, Gyro sensor, Heart rate sensor
- Waterproof: Maximum Depth of Water Resistance: 164 feet
- Connectivity: NFC Technology, Wi-Fi Compatibility, Wireless B, Wireless G, Wireless N, Bluetooth-Enabled
- Display: AMOLED
- Looks and Size: Rose Gold, Link band bracelet, stainless steel. The band width is 18mm and the face of the watch is 1.6″ diameter.
- Manufacturer Warranty: Parts – 2 years, Labor – 2 years
Would we recommend this watch? Absolutely. There is a learning curve when you start out with smart watches (as I’ve discovered), but this watch has made my life a lot easier. It’s fun, easy to learn, and beautiful! Perfect for walking my dogs, hiking, or going to a formal party. I think you’ll love it too…
- BioFilm on Pet Bowls – What it is and How to Clean
- Cooling Mats Help Keep Pets Cool
- Hauspanther’s Freeze Dried Treats & Food Toppers
- ArmORHand Gloves for Animal Handling
- PooPail Makes Waste Cleanup A Breeze