American Airlines has the following policies on pet-travel:
You can travel with up to 2 checked pets that are at least 8 weeks old. Please note that as capacity is limited, we accept checked pets on a first-come basis
When checking a pet, you’ll need to:
- Check in at the ticket counter
- Allow extra check-in time*
- Complete a checklist with an agent
- Provide a health certificate
Fees: $125 each way as carry-on, $175 each way as checked baggage.
Pets are allowed as both carry-on and checked luggage. Restrictions vary for UK and US-based animals, so please refer to their website.
– They do not accept brachycephalic or snub-nosed dogs of any “mix” as checked luggage
– A health certificate is required for pets traveling as checked baggage. No certificate is needed for pets traveling as carry-on. Please note that upon arrival the destination state may require a certificate.
– With the exception of a few breed restrictions, you can only travel with cats and dogs.
– They reserve the right to refuse any animal that is behaving aggressively.
– Maximum of one carrier per customer, and that carrier may contain up to two pets of the same species.
– Carrier may not weigh more than 20 pounds regardless of how many animals it contains.
– Maximum of two pets per customer as checked baggage.
Traveling with a pet is allowed*:
- Within the 48 contiguous (adjoining) United States
- Puerto Rico
- St. Thomas
- St. Croix
- To/from the U.S. and Canada
- The Caribbean**
- Central America
- South America**
*American Eagle does not accept pets as checked baggage for Priority Parcel Service between San Juan (SJU) and St. Kitts (SKB)
**Dependent upon the regulations of your destination country
You cannot travel with a pet on flights longer than 12 hours (that includes the time it takes to clear customs at arrival city) or flights to or from:
For complete guidelines, check their site at: American Airlines
For more information on airlines, view these articles:
- US Airways
- Alaska Air
- United Airlines
- Delta Airlines
- Jet Blue
- Southwest Airlines
- Air Canada
- United Airlines