- Fish & Ponds
- Wild Side
Members of the Pack
|Written by Administrator|
|Sunday, 27 December 2009 01:55|
The Labrador & Shepherd Mix is easygoing, dependable, energetic and intelligent - a great pet for families!
Intelligence: Both Labradors and Shepherds are known for their intelligence, making this combination a great one. As a result, Labrador/Shepherd mixes are easily trained and enjoy learning new tricks (which is fun for the pet as well as the owner).
The Best Families For Them: The best families for these dogs are those with either active young couples, or couples with children. They have a lot of energy, which if not channeled through play or exercise, can be used for destructive purposes. These dogs need a home with a large yard in order to expel their boundless energy. Labrador/Shepherd are also great pets for those that love the outdoors. Camping and hiking are some of this dog’s greatest joys!
Medical Issues: The purebred forms of these animals are predisposed to Hip Dysplasia. However, if you keep your pet at the proper weight and provide plenty of exercise, you are not likely to have many issues. Agility training can be particularly valuable. Begin training and providing regular exercise at any early age.
Behavioral: Labradors tend to be very "mouthy" but providing plenty of plush toys for them to carry around will lessen this characteristic. It's important to provide early training on the things they are allowed to chew (including your hand)! Shepherds tend to be highly intelligent animals and it is therefore important to provide plenty of mental stimulation for your pet. They paricularly enjoy "Smart Toys" and activities such as agility training or learning new tricks. The more you can keep them physically and mentally satisfied, the fewer problems they will have.blog comments powered by Disqus
- Top 10 Favorite New Products at SuperZoo
- Customizable Dog Gear from PrideBites
- Petco Introduces Home Delivery
- Motorola WIRELESSFENCE25 Wireless Pet Fence System
- Worldwise and Quaker Pet Group Merge
- InsectShield Protects Pets from Mosquitoes
- Wine (and Dogs) Are Better with Age
- A Look at LICKS Pill-Free Supplements
- The ClickIt Utility Harness: Crash-tested for pets
- Photographer Central Changes the Way You Take Photos
- Hurricane Katrina: 10 Years Later
- The Truth About Pit Bulls
- Finding A Reptile for your Family #ReptileCare
- Who’s Your Daddy? The Case for Knowing Your Dog’s DNA
- Happy Father's Day - From the Dog
- Happy Father's Day - From the Cats
- NM Creates Cat Library
- Recap of Blogpaws 2015
- When TSA Takes Your Catnip
- Biosecurity at the Barn