It’s been a long, stressful day, and you sink into a hot bubble bath, sighing with pleasure and relief. The scent of lavender drifts through the steamy air, and you inhale deeply, every muscle in your body finally beginning to relax. Instead of laying awake for an hour once your heard hits the pillow that night, you feel at ease and comfortable – and slip easily into sleep.
Have you ever wondered if your dog would enjoy a nice long soak? Well, perhaps they wouldn’t sit still long enough to absorb a few chapters of the latest bestseller, but they can benefit from aromatherapy in other ways. They may not go through the same sort of stress you go through in a day, but dogs do have stress – the sound of a car driving by, thunder rolling, their humans being away longer than expected, car rides, etc. I’m betting that as you read this you’re thinking about a moment when your pet was freaking out and you weren’t sure what to do beyond talking to them soothingly and petting them (which are good things!).
At PetsWeekly, we’re familiar with the concept of aromatherapy as far as our pets go, and we want to introduce you to a set of awesome products by Earth Heart, Inc. They currently have 3 different aromatherapy products available that were specifically designed for dogs by Vicki Rae Thorne, a certified aromatherapist and master herbalist.
Earth Heart Canine Calm Anti-Anxiety Spray for Dogs, 2 oz has pure essential oils of bergamot, tangerine, lavender, geranium, ylang ylang, and marjoram. We personally used Canine Calm and it calmed our dogs down right away! To use the spray, you simply spray it onto your hands and massage it into the dog’s outer ears or abdomen. Another effective way to use Canine Calm is to spray it into the air behind their head, or even into their crates and bedding. Remember, a little goes a LONG way!
Earth Heart Travel Calm has all of the same essential oils as the Canine Calm, but also contains ginger, which helps soothe tummies that tend to get upset during car rides. Try spraying Travel Calm in the car before you put your dog in for a far less stressful trip. It will even help relax the humans.
Guard Well contains pure essential oils of niaouli, ravensara, and frankincense to bring relief to all of those skin issues your canine friend can have – be it dry skin or itchiness caused by any number of possible allergic reactions. Guard well is applied the same way as Canine Calm and Travel Calm.
The aromatherapy products at Earth Heart, Inc. are stellar, and we fully recommend you give them a try. Here are a few tips for before and after your purchase:
- Earth Heart aromatherapy products have been designed with dogs in mind – they aren’t recommended for cats or birds.
- Introduce your dog to the Earth Heart products at a non-stressful time. This will help them to form pleasant associations with the smell.
- Read the posts on the Earth Heart blog. There is a lot of valuable information here.
- Read the FAQ on the Earth Heart website.
- Keep a bottle of the Travel Calm in your doggy luggage or your own luggage in case of spur-of-the-moment trips. This way you won’t be caught unprepared when you’re in a rush to get out the door.
- Animal shelters, rescue organizations, and those who foster dogs should keep some Canine Calm and Travel Calm handy to help make the dogs they help get settled in more quickly and smoothly.
Earth Heart, Inc. was given two “2010 Best Pet Product” awards by FIDO Friendly Magazine, and Canine Calm won a Tails Pet Magazine “Staff Pick” award, and donated 100 bottles of their products to the United Aromatherapy Effort, who in turn donated them to canine units in Afghanistan. We don’t have anything but positive things to say about the Earth Heart company or their products, and they have definitely earned the PetsWeekly seal of approval.