- Fish & Ponds
- Wild Side
Members of the Herd
|Low-Cost Gelding Clinic is CA Success|
|Written by Administrator|
|Thursday, 07 April 2011 21:37|
The National Equine Resource Network's (NERN) low-cost gelding clinic program in California has reduced the number of stallions in Huntington Beach and Salinas by twenty-five, according to Shirley Puga, head of the nonprofit rescue organization. NERN was founded last year to help equine rescue sanctuaries continue their work during the lean economic times.
The two gelding clinics were held in Huntington Beach and Salinas in March, gelding seven and 18 stallions respectively. They were the first in a series of low-cost castration clinics NERN has scheduled throughout California in 2011.
Puga credits the success of the first two clinics to the veterinarians, the horse rescues, and their volunteers in the two communities.
Participating equine health professionals included Jean Winnick, DVM, of Gold Star Equine Medicine in Huntington Beach; and Silvia Colladay, DVM, CVA, of Coastal Veterinary Medicine in Laguna Beach; Eric Davis, DVM, MS, Dipl. ACVS, ACVIM; and veterinary technician Cindy McClin. They were assisted by a group of students from the University of California, Davis, veterinary students and volunteers from Red Bucket Equine Rescue in Huntington Beach and Valley View Ranch Equine Rescue in King City.
"Thanks to the efforts of some wonderful people in both locations, including equine veterinary professionals, horse rescuers, and volunteers, our pilot low-cost gelding clinic is off to a successful start," Puga said.
Three more NERN gelding clinics are scheduled in April: two in Oakdale (Apr. 2 and Apr. 23) and another in Buellton (Apr. 26). Puga said the target for this year is to host 10 to 12 clinics in various California locations.
To learn more about these clinics, visit the National Equine Resource Network at http://www.nationalequine.orgblog comments powered by Disqus
|Last Updated on Friday, 08 April 2011 21:36|
- Traditional ID Tags for Every Pet
- The Toughest Plush Toys for Tough Chewers
- PetsGeekly: Whistle is Wearable Tech for Dogs
- Our Visit to Nature's Table
- PetsGeekly: Helpful Pet Gadgets for an Automatic Life
- Are you ready for some football?
- 5 Products that Changed My Dog's Lives
- Choosing the Right Pet Box
- Giving Back with 1-800-Pet-Meds
- The Advantages of Spiked Collars
- An Open Letter to Animal Rescuers
- National Dog Fighting Awareness Day
- Creating the Ultimate Cat Enclosure
- My Dogs Ate Your Elf on a Shelf
- The Old Man and His Dog
- A Guide To Raising Butterflies
- Join us at WoofStock
- PetSafe Paw Print Blogger Summit
- Helping Those Who Help Animals with 1-800-Pet-Meds
- The Life of St. Francis of Assisi