- Fish & Ponds
- Wild Side
Members of the Herd
|Low-Cost Gelding Clinic is CA Success|
|Written by Administrator|
|Thursday, 07 April 2011 21:37|
The National Equine Resource Network's (NERN) low-cost gelding clinic program in California has reduced the number of stallions in Huntington Beach and Salinas by twenty-five, according to Shirley Puga, head of the nonprofit rescue organization. NERN was founded last year to help equine rescue sanctuaries continue their work during the lean economic times.
The two gelding clinics were held in Huntington Beach and Salinas in March, gelding seven and 18 stallions respectively. They were the first in a series of low-cost castration clinics NERN has scheduled throughout California in 2011.
Puga credits the success of the first two clinics to the veterinarians, the horse rescues, and their volunteers in the two communities.
Participating equine health professionals included Jean Winnick, DVM, of Gold Star Equine Medicine in Huntington Beach; and Silvia Colladay, DVM, CVA, of Coastal Veterinary Medicine in Laguna Beach; Eric Davis, DVM, MS, Dipl. ACVS, ACVIM; and veterinary technician Cindy McClin. They were assisted by a group of students from the University of California, Davis, veterinary students and volunteers from Red Bucket Equine Rescue in Huntington Beach and Valley View Ranch Equine Rescue in King City.
"Thanks to the efforts of some wonderful people in both locations, including equine veterinary professionals, horse rescuers, and volunteers, our pilot low-cost gelding clinic is off to a successful start," Puga said.
Three more NERN gelding clinics are scheduled in April: two in Oakdale (Apr. 2 and Apr. 23) and another in Buellton (Apr. 26). Puga said the target for this year is to host 10 to 12 clinics in various California locations.
To learn more about these clinics, visit the National Equine Resource Network at http://www.nationalequine.orgblog comments powered by Disqus
|Last Updated on Friday, 08 April 2011 21:36|
- Top 10 Favorite New Products at SuperZoo
- Customizable Dog Gear from PrideBites
- Petco Introduces Home Delivery
- Motorola WIRELESSFENCE25 Wireless Pet Fence System
- Worldwise and Quaker Pet Group Merge
- InsectShield Protects Pets from Mosquitoes
- Wine (and Dogs) Are Better with Age
- A Look at LICKS Pill-Free Supplements
- The ClickIt Utility Harness: Crash-tested for pets
- Photographer Central Changes the Way You Take Photos
- Hurricane Katrina: 10 Years Later
- The Truth About Pit Bulls
- Finding A Reptile for your Family #ReptileCare
- Who’s Your Daddy? The Case for Knowing Your Dog’s DNA
- Happy Father's Day - From the Dog
- Happy Father's Day - From the Cats
- NM Creates Cat Library
- Recap of Blogpaws 2015
- When TSA Takes Your Catnip
- Biosecurity at the Barn