- Fish & Ponds
- Wild Side
Our Fish School Members
|Rare Giant Oarfish Found|
|Written by Administrator|
|Wednesday, 12 May 2010 19:51|
When 73-year-old Ove Eriksson first saw this Giant Oarfish lying on the beach, he thought it was simply a large piece of plastic. But as he knelt down beside it, he knew he had found something special.
The 12-foot "Giant Oarfish" is a deep-water fish that is so rarely seen, it was thought to be extinct. In fact, the last sighting was well over 100 years ago.
The Oarfish is a "serpent-like" creature that was last seen in Swedish waters in 1879 - more than 130 years ago. It has the honor of being the world's largest bony fish and was once thought to inspire "fish tales of sea serpents" amongst sailors.
"It was very long and shiny," Eriksson told The Associated Press on Wednesday. "It also had whiskers, even though it looked like they had been broken off. And a strange light-pink dorsal fin."
blog comments powered by Disqus
|Last Updated on Thursday, 01 July 2010 16:10|
- The ClickIt Utility Harness: Crash-tested for pets
- Photographer Central Changes the Way You Take Photos
- 2014 Holiday Gift List for Dogs & Their People
- The New Cargo Liner from #SeatCovers4Knines
- PetsGEEKly: A look at the Neato Robotic Vacuum
- Use of the Cold Laser on Pets
- Using the ResQWalk App to Raise Funds for Animals
- Keeping Your Pets Teeth Clean (Without the Hassle) #SmoochUrPooch
- Clear Conscience Clear Label Treats
- PetsGEEKly: GoGo Dog Pals for Prey-Driven Dogs
- 10 Weird Things We Have to Explain to Visitors
- How to Choose A Farrier
- Join us at Woofstock in Chandler, AZ
- 6 Surprising Dog Superstitions
- 5 Steps to Setting up your First Aquarium
- This DIY Pet Bed is the Cat's Meow
- Wally's World: Featured Adoption
- 10 Possible Reasons Your Cat Is Behaving Badly
- Cats in the Online Gaming World
- Teaching Children to Approach Horses