- Fish & Ponds
- Wild Side
Our Fish School Members
|Rare Giant Oarfish Found|
|Written by Administrator|
|Wednesday, 12 May 2010 19:51|
When 73-year-old Ove Eriksson first saw this Giant Oarfish lying on the beach, he thought it was simply a large piece of plastic. But as he knelt down beside it, he knew he had found something special.
The 12-foot "Giant Oarfish" is a deep-water fish that is so rarely seen, it was thought to be extinct. In fact, the last sighting was well over 100 years ago.
The Oarfish is a "serpent-like" creature that was last seen in Swedish waters in 1879 - more than 130 years ago. It has the honor of being the world's largest bony fish and was once thought to inspire "fish tales of sea serpents" amongst sailors.
"It was very long and shiny," Eriksson told The Associated Press on Wednesday. "It also had whiskers, even though it looked like they had been broken off. And a strange light-pink dorsal fin."
blog comments powered by Disqus
|Last Updated on Thursday, 01 July 2010 16:10|
- Top 10 Favorite New Products at SuperZoo
- Customizable Dog Gear from PrideBites
- Petco Introduces Home Delivery
- Motorola WIRELESSFENCE25 Wireless Pet Fence System
- Worldwise and Quaker Pet Group Merge
- InsectShield Protects Pets from Mosquitoes
- Wine (and Dogs) Are Better with Age
- A Look at LICKS Pill-Free Supplements
- The ClickIt Utility Harness: Crash-tested for pets
- Photographer Central Changes the Way You Take Photos
- Burned Paws, Hot Pavement, Felony Offense
- The Wonderful World of Flyball
- Kitten Rescued from Drainpipe
- FREE National Microchip Registry
- Hurricane Katrina: 10 Years Later
- The Truth About Pit Bulls
- Finding A Reptile for your Family #ReptileCare
- Who’s Your Daddy? The Case for Knowing Your Dog’s DNA
- Happy Father's Day - From the Dog
- Happy Father's Day - From the Cats