- Fish & Ponds
- Wild Side
Our Fish School Members
|Rare Giant Oarfish Found|
|Written by Administrator|
|Wednesday, 12 May 2010 19:51|
When 73-year-old Ove Eriksson first saw this Giant Oarfish lying on the beach, he thought it was simply a large piece of plastic. But as he knelt down beside it, he knew he had found something special.
The 12-foot "Giant Oarfish" is a deep-water fish that is so rarely seen, it was thought to be extinct. In fact, the last sighting was well over 100 years ago.
The Oarfish is a "serpent-like" creature that was last seen in Swedish waters in 1879 - more than 130 years ago. It has the honor of being the world's largest bony fish and was once thought to inspire "fish tales of sea serpents" amongst sailors.
"It was very long and shiny," Eriksson told The Associated Press on Wednesday. "It also had whiskers, even though it looked like they had been broken off. And a strange light-pink dorsal fin."
blog comments powered by Disqus
|Last Updated on Thursday, 01 July 2010 16:10|
- Revitamal #AntiAgingPets Supplement for All Species
- PetsGEEKly: Samsung SmartCam HD Pro
- Why You May Need to Have an Indoor Potty for Pets
- Merrick Pet Food and the #BestDogEver
- Cleaning Tips for Shedding (and Dust) Season
- Review: Only Natural Pet #PawNatural Probiotic Blend
- Traditional ID Tags for Every Pet
- The Toughest Plush Toys for Tough Chewers
- PetsGeekly: Whistle is Wearable Tech for Dogs
- Our Visit to Nature's Table
- Before and After Pictures of Rescued Pets Show Inner Beauty
- Desert Dangers: The Bark Scorpion
- Titus: A Cautionary Tale
- An Ode to My Dogs
- Cashel Crusader Fly Mask Review
- Get Killed Off by George RR Martin and Help Save the Wolves
- A Recap in Pictures of BlogPaws 2014
- Escaping Domestic Abuse: Taking Your Pets With You
- Bunny Love: A True Story
- Domestic Violence and Animals