- Fish & Ponds
- Wild Side
|PetsGeekly: 3 Gamer-Friendly Training Commands|
|Written by Tammy Souch|
|Wednesday, 28 March 2012 21:19|
“Sit,” “stay,” “down,” “come” – these are all the usual commands we were familiar with before we brought our dog Sally home. Thankfully, Sally was familiar with them too, and it made the transition easier for all of us. But then, when we turned on the Xbox that first night we realized we were going to have to help her get used to us playing video games. There we were, sitting on the edge of our seats and looking like we were waiting for something. To a dog who didn’t know any better, well, it looked like we were waiting for her to give us some love! Have you ever tried having a heart-to-heart with a dog about the cost of video game controllers?
The cool thing about training a dog is that you can make a command out of any word or phrase you want, as long as you follow basic dog training ideas and reward, reward, reward. If you’re a gamer and have had issues playing video games with your pup in the room, start teaching them these three commands (or similar commands – whatever works for you) and you’ll be back to nailing those critical headshots in no time.
1. “Controller” – My husband used this as a joke once when Sally came up to him for some love just as we were getting ready to start a game, and it stuck. To teach her this command we used a gesture and command combination. We would move the controller towards her and simply say “controller.” We didn’t even have to use treats for this one – we just praised her every time she moved away from the area when we used the command. Now she knows that “controller” means “you don’t have to go to your bed, but you can’t stay here.” I love this one because now that she knows it well, we can give her with love and affection until the very last moment before the game starts. We get our doggy love and our video games too!
Read more about Pets and Computers:
|Last Updated on Wednesday, 29 August 2012 16:44|
- Wacky Paws' Colorful Line of Products
- Skunk-Off Eliminates Odor
- Creative Leashes For Your Dogs
- Collars with a Higher Purpose
- Soggy Doggy Doormat
- Top 10 Impressive Pet Products from Global Pet Expo
- The Honest Kitchen: A Brief Look
- Types of Collars and How to Select
- Preventing Accidental Overdose in Pets
- Stylish Winter Fashion for Pets
- The Rescue Rap
- Senate Bill Trains Police on Recognizing Dog Behavior
- Pet Cremation: Resources for Our Canadian Readers
- Do You Really Have The Commitment To Own A Horse?
- Journey of Woman and Her Dog Around the World
- Dog Collars Through The Ages: A Short History
- Sandy Robins Honored at Global Pet Expo 2013
- Workouts Gone Wild
- AZ Mexican Wolf Reportedly Doing Well
- 10 Ways to Help Independent Rescuers