- Fish & Ponds
- Wild Side
|Man Surprises Wife with Animal Rescue Center|
|Written by Pack Leader|
|Tuesday, 06 March 2012 20:54|
What would the gift of a lifetime be for an animal lover? How about a $2 million donation to an animal rescue for them to build a new facility... That's what John Breslow gave his wife Sonia on her 60th birthday. Breslow donated $2 million to the Arizona Animal Welfare League & Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (AAWL & SPCA) to build the new facility, which will make it possible for the organization to rescue more homeless dogs and cats from euthanasia.
The AAWL & SPCA helped Breslow surprise his wife and about 80 of their friends by unveiling her name on the new building at 40th Street and Washington in Phoenix.
“This incredible gift could not have come at a better time for AAWL & SPCA,” said Judith Gardner, President and CEO. “We adopted out more than 3,000 animals last year, but were at the very limits of our capacity. I hope that, when Sonia thinks about this day, her heart will fill with the knowledge that thousands – and I do mean thousands – of homeless animals’ lives will have been saved. These animals will be placed in loving homes because of her, her birthday and the love of her wonderful husband.”
For more than two years, Breslow and the animal welfare organization kept the secret of the adoption center in her honor. He arranged for shuttle buses to bring his wife and their guests from her birthday party to AAWL & SPCA to show her the extraordinary gift. When she and her husband stepped off the last bus to arrive, the banner concealing her name on the building was dropped, and a crowd sang “Happy Birthday.”
The new adoption center, which opens to the public in April, will allow AAWL & SPCA to more than double the number of dogs and cats saved each year. The organization rescues animals from euthanasia at open-intake shelters, provides any medical care — including spay/neuter, vaccinations and micro-chipping — and places them in new homes.
A picture of Sonia and her dogs will hang in the lobby of the adoption center.
|Last Updated on Tuesday, 06 March 2012 21:08|
- Wacky Paws' Colorful Line of Products
- Skunk-Off Eliminates Odor
- Creative Leashes For Your Dogs
- Collars with a Higher Purpose
- Soggy Doggy Doormat
- Top 10 Impressive Pet Products from Global Pet Expo
- The Honest Kitchen: A Brief Look
- Types of Collars and How to Select
- Preventing Accidental Overdose in Pets
- Stylish Winter Fashion for Pets
- Forest Ranger Shoots Family Dog
- The Rescue Rap
- Senate Bill Trains Police on Recognizing Dog Behavior
- Pet Cremation: Resources for Our Canadian Readers
- Do You Really Have The Commitment To Own A Horse?
- Journey of Woman and Her Dog Around the World
- Dog Collars Through The Ages: A Short History
- Sandy Robins Honored at Global Pet Expo 2013
- Workouts Gone Wild
- AZ Mexican Wolf Reportedly Doing Well