- Fish & Ponds
- Wild Side
|Man Surprises Wife with Animal Rescue Center|
|Written by Pack Leader|
|Tuesday, 06 March 2012 20:54|
What would the gift of a lifetime be for an animal lover? How about a $2 million donation to an animal rescue for them to build a new facility... That's what John Breslow gave his wife Sonia on her 60th birthday. Breslow donated $2 million to the Arizona Animal Welfare League & Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (AAWL & SPCA) to build the new facility, which will make it possible for the organization to rescue more homeless dogs and cats from euthanasia.
The AAWL & SPCA helped Breslow surprise his wife and about 80 of their friends by unveiling her name on the new building at 40th Street and Washington in Phoenix.
“This incredible gift could not have come at a better time for AAWL & SPCA,” said Judith Gardner, President and CEO. “We adopted out more than 3,000 animals last year, but were at the very limits of our capacity. I hope that, when Sonia thinks about this day, her heart will fill with the knowledge that thousands – and I do mean thousands – of homeless animals’ lives will have been saved. These animals will be placed in loving homes because of her, her birthday and the love of her wonderful husband.”
For more than two years, Breslow and the animal welfare organization kept the secret of the adoption center in her honor. He arranged for shuttle buses to bring his wife and their guests from her birthday party to AAWL & SPCA to show her the extraordinary gift. When she and her husband stepped off the last bus to arrive, the banner concealing her name on the building was dropped, and a crowd sang “Happy Birthday.”
The new adoption center, which opens to the public in April, will allow AAWL & SPCA to more than double the number of dogs and cats saved each year. The organization rescues animals from euthanasia at open-intake shelters, provides any medical care — including spay/neuter, vaccinations and micro-chipping — and places them in new homes.
A picture of Sonia and her dogs will hang in the lobby of the adoption center.
|Last Updated on Tuesday, 06 March 2012 21:08|
- The ClickIt Utility Harness: Crash-tested for pets
- Photographer Central Changes the Way You Take Photos
- 2014 Holiday Gift List for Dogs & Their People
- The New Cargo Liner from #SeatCovers4Knines
- PetsGEEKly: A look at the Neato Robotic Vacuum
- Use of the Cold Laser on Pets
- Using the ResQWalk App to Raise Funds for Animals
- Keeping Your Pets Teeth Clean (Without the Hassle) #SmoochUrPooch
- Clear Conscience Clear Label Treats
- PetsGEEKly: GoGo Dog Pals for Prey-Driven Dogs
- 10 Weird Things We Have to Explain to Visitors
- How to Choose A Farrier
- Join us at Woofstock in Chandler, AZ
- 6 Surprising Dog Superstitions
- 5 Steps to Setting up your First Aquarium
- This DIY Pet Bed is the Cat's Meow
- Wally's World: Featured Adoption
- 10 Possible Reasons Your Cat Is Behaving Badly
- Cats in the Online Gaming World
- Teaching Children to Approach Horses