- Fish & Ponds
- Wild Side
|Hemp, Snow Leopards and Pet Toys|
|Written by Pack Leader|
|Saturday, 04 August 2012 21:35|
High in the rugged mountains of Central Asia, the endangered Snow Leopard shares a tumultuous relationship with impoverished herders. It’s a relationship that involves stolen resources, retribution killings, and poaching for fur. Of course, as in so many other situations, the humans are coming out on top of this battle and currently, there are fewer than 6,500 snow leopards left in the world.
Corporate Cooperation with Species Recovery
The Snow Leopard Trust has created a unique program that gives new jobs to the villagers wives, jobs that allow them to care for their family while their husbands continue the herding. Through the Snow Leopard Trust’s Fair Trade cooperative, these families earn a living with their traditional wool-working skills. In exchange, herders agree to protect the endangered snow leopards that share their habits.
One of the groups that participate in this program is Honest Pet Products, a very forward-thinking, innovative developer of hemp and wool toys for pets. The company’s all-natural wool cat toys are handmade in Mongolia by women of impoverished, nomadic herding families.
Why You Should Give Hemp Pet Toys a Try
Hemp is one of the earliest domesticated plants in existence and for a good reason. It’s fast-growing, environmentally friendly, and can easily be produced in nearly any climate. Worried about the ‘effects” of a hemp toy on your pet? Don’t be… Cannabis sativa L. subsp. sativa var. sativa is the variety grown for industrial use, while C. sativa subsp. indica (the version used for medical and recreational purposes) generally has poor fiber quality and is therefore not used. The industry prefers the much better quality of sativa for use in manufacturing.
Advantages of Hemp Pet Toys
So what are the advantages of hemp in pet toys? Let’s begin with the fact that they are durable, anti-bacterial, anti-microbial, mildew-free and twice as strong as cotton. Need I go on?
Do Your Part
One way that you can contribute to a fun, interactive lifestyle for your pet while simultaneously saving the Snow Leopard is to purchase a few toys from Honest Pet Products. Not only do I love the way they do business and support communities, I love how they have created a fun toy that your pets will adore. Swing by and take a look at their line of products. They are long-lasting, durable, and much healthier for your pets than the plastics you’ll see elsewhere. Will your pet likely make short work of the toy? Sure, ours did. But, they lasted longer than that $15 stuffed toy that we got at Petsmart! And, by purchasing from Honest Pet Products, we know we’re making things better on a global scale – even if it’s in a small way.
More great toys we know you'll love:
|Last Updated on Saturday, 09 March 2013 21:50|
- Wine (and Dogs) Are Better with Age
- A Look at LICKS Pill-Free Supplements
- The ClickIt Utility Harness: Crash-tested for pets
- Photographer Central Changes the Way You Take Photos
- 2014 Holiday Gift List for Dogs & Their People
- The New Cargo Liner from #SeatCovers4Knines
- PetsGEEKly: A look at the Neato Robotic Vacuum
- Use of the Cold Laser on Pets
- Using the ResQWalk App to Raise Funds for Animals
- Keeping Your Pets Teeth Clean (Without the Hassle) #SmoochUrPooch
- Stray Dogs Attend Funeral of Woman
- Annual Arabian Horse Show
- Valentine’s Day Goes to the Dogs
- 10 Weird Things We Have to Explain to Visitors
- How to Choose A Farrier
- Join us at Woofstock in Chandler, AZ
- 6 Surprising Dog Superstitions
- 5 Steps to Setting up your First Aquarium
- This DIY Pet Bed is the Cat's Meow
- Wally's World: Featured Adoption