- Fish & Ponds
- Wild Side
|Keeping Pets Safe Without Power|
|Written by Pack Leader|
|Monday, 09 July 2012 18:00|
Over two million people lost power in the East this month, and some have been without it for over a week. Being home-bound with no power is not only dangerous for you, but for your pets as well. If you can prepare for such an emergency ahead of time, you and your pets will be much more comfortable. Here are some helpful tips in preparing and coping for power loss.
Preparing for Power Loss
Light: Candles are very dangerous for people and pets, yet they are still the â€śgo toâ€ť item for creating light. Instead of candles, consider Battery Powered Lanterns and lights that can keep your pets wear and help keep them illuminated (such as PupLight).
Protecting Fish: Fish are particularly susceptible to power outages and the second that filter stalls, your beloved aquariums are at risk. Consider a Marina Battery-Operated Air Pump that runs in the morning and evening to help keep aquariums aerated.
â€śThis extreme heat and humidity can pose health risks for people, but itâ€™s also a dangerous time for our pets,â€ť said Niki Dawson, director of disaster response for The HSUS. â€śThe Humane Society of the United States reminds everyone that the heat can be fatal for their pets and urges them to take precautions to protect our furry friends during this record-setting hot spell.â€ť
You may also enjoy reading these articles:
|Last Updated on Tuesday, 17 July 2012 20:54|
- Top 10 Favorite New Products at SuperZoo
- Customizable Dog Gear from PrideBites
- Petco Introduces Home Delivery
- Motorola WIRELESSFENCE25 Wireless Pet Fence System
- Worldwise and Quaker Pet Group Merge
- InsectShield Protects Pets from Mosquitoes
- Wine (and Dogs) Are Better with Age
- A Look at LICKS Pill-Free Supplements
- The ClickIt Utility Harness: Crash-tested for pets
- Photographer Central Changes the Way You Take Photos
- Finding A Reptile for your Family #ReptileCare
- Whoâ€™s Your Daddy? The Case for Knowing Your Dogâ€™s DNA
- Happy Father's Day - From the Dog
- Happy Father's Day - From the Cats
- NM Creates Cat Library
- Recap of Blogpaws 2015
- When TSA Takes Your Catnip
- Biosecurity at the Barn
- Happy Mother's Day!
- Can I Come Over and Ride Your Horse?