- Fish & Ponds
- Wild Side
|Keeping Pets Safe Without Power|
|Written by Pack Leader|
|Monday, 09 July 2012 18:00|
Over two million people lost power in the East this month, and some have been without it for over a week. Being home-bound with no power is not only dangerous for you, but for your pets as well. If you can prepare for such an emergency ahead of time, you and your pets will be much more comfortable. Here are some helpful tips in preparing and coping for power loss.
Preparing for Power Loss
Light: Candles are very dangerous for people and pets, yet they are still the “go to” item for creating light. Instead of candles, consider Battery Powered Lanterns and lights that can keep your pets wear and help keep them illuminated (such as PupLight).
Protecting Fish: Fish are particularly susceptible to power outages and the second that filter stalls, your beloved aquariums are at risk. Consider a Marina Battery-Operated Air Pump that runs in the morning and evening to help keep aquariums aerated.
“This extreme heat and humidity can pose health risks for people, but it’s also a dangerous time for our pets,” said Niki Dawson, director of disaster response for The HSUS. “The Humane Society of the United States reminds everyone that the heat can be fatal for their pets and urges them to take precautions to protect our furry friends during this record-setting hot spell.”
You may also enjoy reading these articles:
|Last Updated on Tuesday, 17 July 2012 20:54|
- Traditional ID Tags for Every Pet
- The Toughest Plush Toys for Tough Chewers
- PetsGeekly: Whistle is Wearable Tech for Dogs
- Our Visit to Nature's Table
- PetsGeekly: Helpful Pet Gadgets for an Automatic Life
- Are you ready for some football?
- 5 Products that Changed My Dog's Lives
- Choosing the Right Pet Box
- Giving Back with 1-800-Pet-Meds
- The Advantages of Spiked Collars
- An Open Letter to Animal Rescuers
- National Dog Fighting Awareness Day
- Creating the Ultimate Cat Enclosure
- My Dogs Ate Your Elf on a Shelf
- The Old Man and His Dog
- A Guide To Raising Butterflies
- Join us at WoofStock
- PetSafe Paw Print Blogger Summit
- Helping Those Who Help Animals with 1-800-Pet-Meds
- The Life of St. Francis of Assisi