- Fish & Ponds
- Wild Side
Members of the Pack
|Postal Service Announces Top Dog Bite Cities|
|Written by Administrator|
|Thursday, 12 May 2011 21:19|
Today, the US Postal Service (USPS) released the "Top Dog Bite Cities" - a list of the nation's most common dog attack locales. Houston, Texas tops the list with 62 letter carriers attacked in 2010.
“We often hear two comments relating to the Postal Service, ‘the check’s in the mail,’ and ‘don’t worry, my dog won’t bite’. Given the right circumstances, any dog can bite. Dog attacks are a nationwide issue and not just a postal problem,” said Matthew Lopez, Houston Postmaster. “Working with animal behavior experts, we’ve developed tips to avoid dog attacks, and for dog owners, tips for practicing responsible pet ownership.”
While we know the risks that city, state and federal employees are forced to deal with each day, what is more important about this report is preventing dog attacks before they happen.
“Half of all children will be bitten by a dog by the time they’re high school seniors,” said Dr. John Fraser, of the Texas Chapter of the American Academy of Pediatrics. “It’s so important for parents to supervise young children around dogs at all times, and it's just as important for children to be taught from an early age how to keep from being bitten.”
As responsible pet owners, it's our task to ensure our pets are well-cared for and under control at all times. Below is a list of ways that we can accomplish this.
“Dog bite prevention education cannot begin early enough,” said Kelly Voigt, 19, the victim of a savage dog attack when she was seven years old. She endured the pain of 100 stitches to her face as part of her recovery The experience was the catalyst behind the creation of Prevent The Bite, a non-profit organization that promotes dog bite prevention to young children. To date, Voigt has spoken before more than 10,000 elementary school students.
|Last Updated on Thursday, 12 May 2011 22:45|
- Top 10 Favorite New Products at SuperZoo
- Customizable Dog Gear from PrideBites
- Petco Introduces Home Delivery
- Motorola WIRELESSFENCE25 Wireless Pet Fence System
- Worldwise and Quaker Pet Group Merge
- InsectShield Protects Pets from Mosquitoes
- Wine (and Dogs) Are Better with Age
- A Look at LICKS Pill-Free Supplements
- The ClickIt Utility Harness: Crash-tested for pets
- Photographer Central Changes the Way You Take Photos
- Burned Paws, Hot Pavement, Felony Offense
- The Wonderful World of Flyball
- Kitten Rescued from Drainpipe
- FREE National Microchip Registry
- Hurricane Katrina: 10 Years Later
- The Truth About Pit Bulls
- Finding A Reptile for your Family #ReptileCare
- Who’s Your Daddy? The Case for Knowing Your Dog’s DNA
- Happy Father's Day - From the Dog
- Happy Father's Day - From the Cats