- Fish & Ponds
- Wild Side
Members of the Pack
|Postal Service Announces Top Dog Bite Cities|
|Written by Administrator|
|Thursday, 12 May 2011 21:19|
Today, the US Postal Service (USPS) released the "Top Dog Bite Cities" - a list of the nation's most common dog attack locales. Houston, Texas tops the list with 62 letter carriers attacked in 2010.
“We often hear two comments relating to the Postal Service, ‘the check’s in the mail,’ and ‘don’t worry, my dog won’t bite’. Given the right circumstances, any dog can bite. Dog attacks are a nationwide issue and not just a postal problem,” said Matthew Lopez, Houston Postmaster. “Working with animal behavior experts, we’ve developed tips to avoid dog attacks, and for dog owners, tips for practicing responsible pet ownership.”
While we know the risks that city, state and federal employees are forced to deal with each day, what is more important about this report is preventing dog attacks before they happen.
“Half of all children will be bitten by a dog by the time they’re high school seniors,” said Dr. John Fraser, of the Texas Chapter of the American Academy of Pediatrics. “It’s so important for parents to supervise young children around dogs at all times, and it's just as important for children to be taught from an early age how to keep from being bitten.”
As responsible pet owners, it's our task to ensure our pets are well-cared for and under control at all times. Below is a list of ways that we can accomplish this.
“Dog bite prevention education cannot begin early enough,” said Kelly Voigt, 19, the victim of a savage dog attack when she was seven years old. She endured the pain of 100 stitches to her face as part of her recovery The experience was the catalyst behind the creation of Prevent The Bite, a non-profit organization that promotes dog bite prevention to young children. To date, Voigt has spoken before more than 10,000 elementary school students.
|Last Updated on Thursday, 12 May 2011 22:45|
- PetsGEEKly: World's First Implantable GPS Microchip
- QuikShade Beds for Pets
- FDA Warns Tear-Stain Removal Companies
- TELO-20: Extending Your Dog's Lifespan
- PetsGEEKly: Motorola Scout 66 Wi-fi Pet Monitor
- Revitamal #AntiAgingPets Supplement for All Species
- PetsGEEKly: Samsung SmartCam HD Pro
- Why You May Need to Have an Indoor Potty for Pets
- Merrick Pet Food and the #BestDogEver
- Cleaning Tips for Shedding (and Dust) Season
- 10 Possible Reasons Your Cat Is Behaving Badly
- Cats in the Online Gaming World
- Teaching Children to Approach Horses
- Before and After Pictures of Rescued Pets Show Inner Beauty
- Desert Dangers: The Bark Scorpion
- Titus: A Cautionary Tale
- An Ode to My Dogs
- Cashel Crusader Fly Mask Review
- Get Killed Off by George RR Martin and Help Save the Wolves
- A Recap in Pictures of BlogPaws 2014