- Fish & Ponds
- Wild Side
Members of the Pack
|Summer Storms: 23 Million Dogs Have Anxiety|
|Written by Pack Leader|
|Monday, 27 June 2011 23:31|
Summer is officially here (witnessed firsthand by the 116 degree temps in Arizona) and accompanying it comes backyard barbecues, trips to the beach and Fourth of July firework shows. But summer storms and celebratory fireworks are two main triggers of anxiety in dogs, according to a survey released today by Thundershirt, a Durham, N.C.-based manufacturer of anxiety-reducing dog products.
“We’ve worked with tens of thousands of dogs over the past two years, so we knew that anxiety problems in dogs are very common...but we were incredibly surprised by the results of this data,” said Phil Blizzard, founder of Thundershirt. “As our surveys show, millions of dogs are suffering from, and not being adequately treated for, fear of thunder, separation and travel anxiety and a whole host of other anxiety and fear issues.”
The Thundershirt jacket was very effective in helping to reduce anxiety in dogs, according to a survey released by the manufacturer today.
The surveys found that two of the most prominent forms of anxiety among dogs were noise and separation from their owners. Loud noises, such as thunder storms (86 percent) and fireworks (74 percent), were the most often cited form of noise anxiety. Other interesting conclusions reported include:
The Thundershirt jacket, which is designed to calm anxious dogs, was found to be the most effective solution for anxiety among the Thundershirt customers polled. It was identified as having the highest success rate out of all solutions tried for various anxiety types, with nearly 82 percent of the customers polled reporting an improvement in symptoms. Other notable solutions were environmental management (77 percent) and prescription medications (76 percent).
For more information check out these articles
|Last Updated on Thursday, 02 August 2012 23:18|
- PrideBites: Personalized Toys for Pets
- Wacky Paws' Colorful Line of Products
- Skunk-Off Eliminates Odor
- Creative Leashes For Your Dogs
- Collars with a Higher Purpose
- Soggy Doggy Doormat
- Top 10 Impressive Pet Products from Global Pet Expo
- The Honest Kitchen: A Brief Look
- Types of Collars and How to Select
- Preventing Accidental Overdose in Pets
- Please Nominate PetsWeekly for Petties Award
- Forest Ranger Shoots Family Dog
- The Rescue Rap
- Senate Bill Trains Police on Recognizing Dog Behavior
- Pet Cremation: Resources for Our Canadian Readers
- Do You Really Have The Commitment To Own A Horse?
- Journey of Woman and Her Dog Around the World
- Dog Collars Through The Ages: A Short History
- Sandy Robins Honored at Global Pet Expo 2013
- Workouts Gone Wild