- Fish & Ponds
- Wild Side
Members of the Pack
|Summer Storms: 23 Million Dogs Have Anxiety|
|Written by Pack Leader|
|Monday, 27 June 2011 23:31|
Summer is officially here (witnessed firsthand by the 116 degree temps in Arizona) and accompanying it comes backyard barbecues, trips to the beach and Fourth of July firework shows. But summer storms and celebratory fireworks are two main triggers of anxiety in dogs, according to a survey released today by Thundershirt, a Durham, N.C.-based manufacturer of anxiety-reducing dog products.
“We’ve worked with tens of thousands of dogs over the past two years, so we knew that anxiety problems in dogs are very common...but we were incredibly surprised by the results of this data,” said Phil Blizzard, founder of Thundershirt. “As our surveys show, millions of dogs are suffering from, and not being adequately treated for, fear of thunder, separation and travel anxiety and a whole host of other anxiety and fear issues.”
The Thundershirt jacket was very effective in helping to reduce anxiety in dogs, according to a survey released by the manufacturer today.
The surveys found that two of the most prominent forms of anxiety among dogs were noise and separation from their owners. Loud noises, such as thunder storms (86 percent) and fireworks (74 percent), were the most often cited form of noise anxiety. Other interesting conclusions reported include:
The Thundershirt jacket, which is designed to calm anxious dogs, was found to be the most effective solution for anxiety among the Thundershirt customers polled. It was identified as having the highest success rate out of all solutions tried for various anxiety types, with nearly 82 percent of the customers polled reporting an improvement in symptoms. Other notable solutions were environmental management (77 percent) and prescription medications (76 percent).
For more information check out these articles
|Last Updated on Thursday, 02 August 2012 23:18|
- Traditional ID Tags for Every Pet
- The Toughest Plush Toys for Tough Chewers
- PetsGeekly: Whistle is Wearable Tech for Dogs
- Our Visit to Nature's Table
- PetsGeekly: Helpful Pet Gadgets for an Automatic Life
- Are you ready for some football?
- 5 Products that Changed My Dog's Lives
- Choosing the Right Pet Box
- Giving Back with 1-800-Pet-Meds
- The Advantages of Spiked Collars
- National Dog Fighting Awareness Day
- Creating the Ultimate Cat Enclosure
- My Dogs Ate Your Elf on a Shelf
- The Old Man and His Dog
- A Guide To Raising Butterflies
- Join us at WoofStock
- PetSafe Paw Print Blogger Summit
- Helping Those Who Help Animals with 1-800-Pet-Meds
- The Life of St. Francis of Assisi
- Close Encounters of the Furry Kind