- Fish & Ponds
- Wild Side
|Feeding Individual Diets in Multi-Cat Households|
|Written by Stacy Mantle|
|Sunday, 12 February 2012 23:45|
Today we had an interesting (and very difficult to answer) question from a reader who asked us how they can keep their “special diet” cat away from their other cats food. If you have more than one cat, or if you have cats and dogs, this is likely a problem you have faced more than once.
Option One: Meow Space
Finally, a solution to feeding multiple cats - an enclosed feeding station that works on the signal from your cat’s magnetic collar tag or microchip now allows you to create individual feeding areas for each animal. Why are we so excited about this? Because it’s one of the first we’ve seen on the market that we don’t have to build ourselves.
Option Two: SureFlap
Another creative RFID invention for your litter of kitties is the SureFlap Cat Door. The theory is that you can install this cat flap on any interior door, which will then only allow the cat with the appropriate microchip into that room. The door can be programmed to detect a unique RFID signal from your cat’s microchip, allowing you to have full control over who has access to the feeding station.
The down side to this particular solution is that you must have an extra room with it's own door - that way, you can install the pet flap in the door and allow access to the feeding solution.
Option Three: Build Your Own Automatic Cat Feeder
Since this is far too complicated a project to detail in this article, we’re linking you out to the mastermind of the design. While this appears to be promising, we personally think you may be better off just purchasing your own MeowSpace. But if you're feeling particularly crafty today, here are detailed instructions on building your own automatic feeder! Please be sure to send video clips to us so we can see how it worked out!
What other solutions have you come up with on your own? Any specific ideas on feeding multiple pets individual diets in your household? We want to hear them! Leave a comment below so we can share your idea with the Pride.
Disclaimer: We may have received payment and/or product samples from one or more of the companies mentioned above. We occasionally utilize affiliate links when linking out to products.
Other articles you may find interesting:
|Last Updated on Monday, 21 April 2014 18:26|
- Top 10 Favorite New Products at SuperZoo
- Customizable Dog Gear from PrideBites
- Petco Introduces Home Delivery
- Motorola WIRELESSFENCE25 Wireless Pet Fence System
- Worldwise and Quaker Pet Group Merge
- InsectShield Protects Pets from Mosquitoes
- Wine (and Dogs) Are Better with Age
- A Look at LICKS Pill-Free Supplements
- The ClickIt Utility Harness: Crash-tested for pets
- Photographer Central Changes the Way You Take Photos
- Burned Paws, Hot Pavement, Felony Offense
- The Wonderful World of Flyball
- Kitten Rescued from Drainpipe
- FREE National Microchip Registry
- Hurricane Katrina: 10 Years Later
- The Truth About Pit Bulls
- Finding A Reptile for your Family #ReptileCare
- Who’s Your Daddy? The Case for Knowing Your Dog’s DNA
- Happy Father's Day - From the Dog
- Happy Father's Day - From the Cats