- Fish & Ponds
- Wild Side
|The Avian First Aid Kit|
|Written by Sybil Erden & Carol Highfill|
|Monday, 06 September 2010 03:15|
The Oasis Sanctuary rescues all species of birds. Read on for a printable list of the supplies you should keep on hand for your birds, then visit The Oasis and make a donation so they can continue their mission of providing critical care to birds in need...
One of the most important items a responsible bird owner must have is a First Aid kit just for your bird. This is true whether you have one bird, or are a breeder caring for a hundred of more avians. Having a well stocked avian First Aid kit handy can prepare you to handle minor emergencies yourself or enable you to stabilize your bird’s condition while getting your bird to your avian veterinarian. In an emergency you will not have the time to run around your home getting the necessary materials or equipment, so this kit can be a life saver. Decide before hand where you wish to keep the First Aid kit. The kitchen, bathroom or the bird room are good locations. Wherever you place it, keep it there.
Have your regular avian veterinarian’s name, address and telephone number taped in the lid of the First Aid Kit, along with at least one 24 hour emergency hospital, clinic or doctor’s name and number. In an envelope, in the First Aid kit, you should also keep a copy of your bird’s medical records, particularly any chronic diseases or recent injuries/illnesses the bird has been treated for. You will want to take this with you to the doctor or hospital and it may be important in an emergency. A sturdy, medium sized, plastic or metal tool box makes an ideal Avian First Aid Kit. After careful consideration, we have decided to help you put together a very basic kit, containing emergency necessities under the heading “Basic First Aid Kit”. For those of you who feel more comfortable doing minor emergency procedures yourself, we will list a few more items under “Additional Supplies”. We will end this article with a few more other emergency "must haves" for every bird owner.
blog comments powered by Disqus
- Wine (and Dogs) Are Better with Age
- A Look at LICKS Pill-Free Supplements
- The ClickIt Utility Harness: Crash-tested for pets
- Photographer Central Changes the Way You Take Photos
- 2014 Holiday Gift List for Dogs & Their People
- The New Cargo Liner from #SeatCovers4Knines
- PetsGEEKly: A look at the Neato Robotic Vacuum
- Use of the Cold Laser on Pets
- Using the ResQWalk App to Raise Funds for Animals
- Keeping Your Pets Teeth Clean (Without the Hassle) #SmoochUrPooch
- Can I Come Over and Ride Your Horse?
- Catifying Your Home: Design for the pampered cat
- Review of Healthy Horse Hors D’oeuvres
- Stray Dogs Attend Funeral of Woman
- Annual Arabian Horse Show
- Valentine’s Day Goes to the Dogs
- 10 Weird Things We Have to Explain to Visitors
- How to Choose A Farrier
- Join us at Woofstock in Chandler, AZ
- 6 Surprising Dog Superstitions